Well hello there and welcome to my obsession du jour! I’m participating in Org Junkie’s 52 Weeks of Organizing challenge.
It all started with a mess, a dream, and a list…
Want to know more? So far, I’ve completed the projects listed below. Click on the links to follow my gradual journey from overwhelmed to organized!
- kitchen pantry
- linen closet
- the coffee table drawers
- the kids’ Nintendo DS cartridges
- the kids’ Legos
- a new way of managing my laundry
- kitchen window sill dumping ground
- dining room make-under
- laundry room highs and lows
- kitchen island “crap magnet,” and annoying wall art/clutter, buh-bye!
- the mother of all crap magnets (the outside of my fridge)
- kitchen desk drawer (junk drawer)
- I made my kitchen cabinet beg for mercy.
- how to clean out your car
- hair in my freezer?
- an ode to nice (kitchen) drawers
- floordrobe makeover (conquering a pile in my bedroom)
- purging old jeans
- still working on closet
- started cleaning out the garage
- computer died! MUST. ORGANIZE. DIGITAL. PICS!
- oh look, something shiny!
- CRAP. I’m totally stuck in an organizing rut!
- trying to get back on track – phase one of home office: the floor
- working on digital pics, took class at Apple store, learned how to create & manage multiple iPhoto libraries
- organized DVD cabinet, but too boring to write about
- I broke my frickin’ toe tripping on CLUTTER!
- cleaned out my purse to get ready to go on vacation
- conquering mental clutter (my guest post at Declutter Daily)
- still on vacation, so I organized my makeup bag
- two kids went back to school…organized their school supplies
- I returned an ill-fitting shirt that had been sitting in a bag in my room for 1 year! I also helped Nature Boy clean out his closet and organize his bookshelf.
- I tackled my “Mend” bucket thanks to Org Junkie’s clothes purging manifesto.
- decluttered my box of warranties/instruction manuals… BOR-RING!
- I spent an entire rainy day with Mini-Me on decluttering, organizing, and cleaning her bedroom…every drawer, every shelf, every basket. Post coming soon.
- I finally organized my recipe binder! That mofo has been on my list for YEARS!
- Would you believe my 4 year old has a “Mulch Collection”? Great. One more thing to clutter up my house. MULCH. Swear to God.
- Oh CRAP! My husband’s job changed and now he’s working at home three days a week. Priority shift! Back to decluttering the home office…again.
- Cleaned out all the master bath drawers and cabinets! Tossed a bunch of junk. So liberating!!
- Bucket Head’s closet
- Banishing entryway clutter
- my sewing basket
- upstairs hallway redux
- halloween decoration bin purge-a-thon
- hot spot freak out
- Thanksgiving Book of Recipes/Tips Makeover
- MAJOR SETBACK! My anal retentive husband went on a pile-killing spree. I can’t find anything.
- updating my computer address book to get ready for sending holiday cards
- Oh no! my cat has been pissing on things…wow, what an easy way to declutter!
- Cleaned out the gift box and reorganized all my Christmas gift wrap supplies.
- Cleaned out the baking cabinet. Guess I didn’t need to buy all these new bags of chocolate chips. Der.
- trying to get my Christmas card list and supplies organized for next year
I know, right? I can hardly believe it myself! Seriously, following through isn’t really my thang. But something has finally clicked because I sure am seeing some progress.
You know what’s even better than completing these projects? Maintaining them! Surprisingly, I’ve actually kept up with
most some of those improvements using what Org Junkie calls “The Ten Minute Tidy.” Before bed each night, I do a quick check of the places I’ve already organized and put anything away that is out of place. Truly – this is THE key to a more organized home. You can declutter and organize until the cows come home, but if you don’t make a conscious effort to MAINTAIN your organized spaces, you are pretty much screwed, pardon my French.
Here’s to living a life of simplicity and order!
© Copyright 2011, The Bearded Iris.