Snowpocalypse, the State of Blogging, and Sausage Fest

Let’s make this quick. (That’s what he said).

I’m on day four of the Atlanta Snowpocalypse, so you already know I’ve got my hands full.

My kids have been home from school since noon on Tuesday when the snow started to fall. Boy, howdy—they do love the snow.

Brothers in the snowBlurry sledding picMini-Me sleddingBucket Head running in the snow

When I woke up on Wednesday morning, Bucket Head was already outside playing. As it should be. Nothing wears a kid out like playing outside in the cold, wet, white stuff. It’s a thing of beauty, I tell you. Kind of makes me wish we had snow more often.

Kind of.

Except for all the laundry and that wet-dog-smell.

Oh, and the state-of-emergency thing. Jayzus.

aerial-view-of-massive-traffic-snarl-during-atlantas-2014-snow-storm-via-nbc-charlotte-wcnc_100454582_m

I did finally manage to get to the store yesterday, so don’t worry Mom—we haven’t devolved into the Donner Party; although I did take comfort in knowing that my tender young children plus my extra large crock pot would have made for some good eats in case of emergency. (Mmmmm, rump roast.)

And then, like a gift from the Blogging Gods, Bucket Head went and got his tongue stuck to a giant ice ball he’d been saving in the freezer.

Oh yes he did.

I heard it from across the house before I saw it.

Only, instead of photographing or filming it, or preserving the moment in Plaster of Paris… I calmly helped him get it unstuck and then comforted him while he cried.

I honestly don’t even know who I am anymore.

But it will be a good story someday… complete with a high res “pinable” graphic titled “10 Avoidable Winter Tragedies! MUST SEE! #SaveTheChildren!”

Speaking of Pinterest, you know what’s hot right now? Superbowl food. Which reminded me of one of my favorite dip recipes: Come to Mama Sausage Dip.

Come to Mama Sausage Dip

I first shared it around this time last year and it has become one of my most pinned recipes.

Here it is again in case you need any easy last-minute dips. I’m telling you, people love this stuff. Show up with a hot, molten vat of this and a bag of Fritos Scoops, and you will be the guest of honor. Enjoy!

5.0 from 2 reviews
Come to Mama Sausage Dip
Author:
Recipe type: Appetizer
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

Hot, molten, cheesy, sausage dip perfect for the big game!
Ingredients
  • 16 ounce roll of breakfast sausage* (don't get that puny 12 ounce thing...this is no time to settle for a little sausage)
  • 2 bricks of cream cheese (8 oz. each)
  • 10 ounce can of RO*TEL (Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies; find it in the canned veggie aisle)
  • Fritos Scoops
Instructions
  1. Brown the sausage; break up the big chunks of sausage with a wooden spoon while it cooks. Then drain the grease off and set the crumbled sausage on a layer or two of paper towel. Set aside.
  2. Heat the cream cheese on med-low in a saucepan until it gets all melty and slap-yo'-mama good.
  3. Once the cream cheese is hot and melted, add the RO*TEL and crumbled sausage and heat through.
  4. Best served warm with Fritos Scoops on the side. It's a heavy dip and requires a strong chip or you'll be wearing it instead of eating it. (Trust me on this.)
Notes
*If you like to spice things up a bit, and I suspect that you do, get EITHER spicy sausage, OR spicy RO*TEL. Don't double down on the spice. You can thank me later.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Snowpocalypse, the State of Blogging, and Sausage Fest

1. Abby says:

So glad you’re safe and that Buckethead didn’t have a “Flick” from A Christmas Story moment for all that long.

As for the weather, we have 15 inches and are expecting 6-9 tomorrow and 3-6 on Wednesday with no end in sight until March. In other words, I’m going to stick my head in the oven or pack up my bags and come crash at your place for a bit, okay? OK.

2. I am glad BucketHead is ok. I won’t maaa what he thought he was doing. I’m sure the future post will tell me that.

Your dip does not appeal to my finely tuned vegetarian tastes. I am sorry. I’m more of an apple girl. But the publicist says that it does look mighty tasty to her and she might try it with some goat sausage she has in the freezer.

WHAAAAAAT?

3. lisa thomson says:

Awww, poor buckethead. Great pic’s of the kids enjoying the snow! Glad you’re all surviving the snowpocalypse :)

4. I gotta say: I’m disappointed that there are no photos of the stuck tongue, but you’ve redeemed yourself with a “5-minute-prep-time” recipe. SAUSAGE FOR ALL!

• I KNOW, RIGHT?! Would it make you feel better to know I actually had my phone in my hand, but my daughter gave me the evil eye like, “Don’t even think it.” She scared me straight. Blogging gold, right down the drain.

5. Snappy says:

That sausage fest dip is crack. Crack on a Frito, which is already crack…It’s crack on crack action. I’m not sharing it with anyone, it’s ALL MINE….MY PRECIOUSSSS….

Poor Bucket Head- well you know he won’t be doing that ever again.
    The wet dog smell just grosses me out- and it’s too bad because my dog loves the snow!
    Hope the Snowpocalypse ends soon. And I’m making the dip!!!

7. Damn, I wish we had snow down here. It would keep my teenager busy but then again he’d probably find something illegal to do with snow balls, so scratch that. Anyway, what I REALLY meant to say is that you had me at the word SAUSAGE. I am sooo making this dip on Sunday. It kinda looks like something the dog barfed up but at least I know this will taste good. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Yum!

I so love the name of this dip. And you! Your kids look like they are having a blast! There is nothing quite like “Southern Snow”. We act like complete idiots. (not me, of course, I stayed inside), but it’s fun to watch.

9. Mary Anne says:

That is our MOST favoritist (;)) recipe! It is crack on a frito. We’ve thawed out-hope tall have

10. Andrea says:

WAIT WAIT WAIT.

FOUR ingredients? And one of them is Fritos Scoops?

This needs to be in my rotation of sausage fest sausage dishes.

I’m sorry about Atlanta. Snow sucks the hottest, spiciest sausage you can find.

11. Anna says:

If it takes a colossal state of emergency for the children of Atlanta to get to experience the magic of snow – and snow days – then so be it. Glad you’re making the best of it, frozen tongues and all.

12. Allie says:

I live in Atlanta too. Oh my, it has been a long week. When that call came Thursday that Friday was also cancelled, I was crushed. They’re driving me crazy;)!

13. Marcy Luek says:

Hi Leslie, I’ve been wondering how my Atlanta friends are faring with the weather. Couldn’t help but smile at the Donner Party reference and the vivid memories that brought up! I’m just getting back to reading your blog after a year long project that took up my time, energy, and attention. Here’s a link to an article about it…

When are you coming to Pittsburgh, I want you to come visit and meet my family. And hey, that was an awesome Christmas card photo!

• Deborah White says:

Marcy – I just read the story. Wow! What an incredible thing you did, and kudos the family for embracing you and the opportunity they have.

• MARCY! Hello old friend! Finally got caught up on your article. Wow – you don’t do anything halfway, do you? What an incredible project! I’m thrilled for you all and would love to meet your new family. No plans to come to Pittsburgh anytime soon, but will definitely keep you posted if that changes. Much love, Leslie

14. Jasmine says:

We used to call that dip “Party Puke” and oddly no one balked at asking for it or eating it.

15. “It tastes better than it looks.”

Story of my life.

16. I’m waiting for one of my darlings to try that trick! Poor baby! We live in New York, and I have really had my fill of snow for the next 20 years. Love the pictures of your cuties playing in the white stuff though!