Do I have lipstick on my teeth?

Look, we’ve been friends for a long time, right?

Five years to the day, to be exact. (I know, right?!)

And you’d tell me if I had lipstick on my teeth, wouldn’t you?

Leslie Has Lipstick on Her Teeth2

You would! I know you would. Which is why I like you so much. And I’d totally do the same for you. We’re cool like that.

So now that we’ve got that out of the way, I have a big announcement to make. Two big announcements, actually:

First, I am completely giddy to announce that I am the editor and co-author of a brand new humor anthology by women, about women, published by my amazing team at In The Powder Room. (Mad props to Di, our CEO, and Kim, our Social Media Manager, for their incredible hard work and brilliance.)

ERMAHGERD I edited a book

You should buy one. Actually, buy a few. Makes a great gift!

This future best-seller* features 39 absolutely awesome short stories by some of the wittiest female writers I could wrangle. And I’m not just saying that because I wrote one of the chapters. (It’s about my boobs. Of course it is.)

(*This is me, using “The Secret” to let the Universe know my intentions. I’ll let you know if it works.)

Truthfully, creating this book has completely consumed me for the last few months, and I could not be more proud of the results. In fact, releasing it into the world today was an awful lot like giving birth, a comparison I have detailed in my column In The Powder Room today. (Spoiler alert: poop and swearing.)

Anyhoo…

So that’s what I did my summer vacation.

Which brings me to big announcement number two:

(Heh heh heh, I said number two.)

My children returned to school today. And I’m truly grateful… not for my own selfish reasons (entirely), but because those poor little lambs have totally raised themselves this summer while I devoted myself night and day to every little phase of this spectacular book. So, I’m thrilled for them that they can finally stop trying to kill each other and put their brains back into use. Yay kids! Go forth and learn stuff!

Actually, if I’m being totally honest, today is a little bittersweet for me. I am finally out from under the weight of this enormous project and *should* theoretically have a little breathing room to do things like, oh, I don’t know, play a rousing game of Uno or go to the pool and actually swim with the kids instead of checking email and proof reading manuscripts, but it’s too late… they are gone.

Yep. Just go ahead and cue up Harry Chapin’s “Cat’s in the Cradle.”

{Sniff.}

Oh God. I’m sorry. It’s not like me to be so sappy… I think I’m just in that touchy post-partum phase. Look away. Nothing to see here.

You know what I need? A nap. And some more coffee. And to go smell the pages OF MY NEW BOOK!

You Have Lipstick on Your Teeth the book delivery by The Bearded Iris

Happy feelings back!

You know you want some of this. Click the picture below and all your dreams will come true. Or all my dreams. Details.

You Have Lipstick on Your Teeth via @InThePowderRoom #ITPRLipstick

This entry was posted in books and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Do I have lipstick on my teeth?

1. SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!

I’m gonna have to give my UPS guy a friendly smack on the butt in those little brown shorts when he delivers mine :)

2. I’m so thrilled for you and so honored to be a part of this. Thanks for helping make my dreams come true. Also, can you make school start 3 weeks earlier for me? That would be swell.

3. Abby says:

Thank you again so much for your hard work. I was so excited to put up a post today, as I’m humbled to be included with such hilarious and talented women–you included. Now enough freaking mush. I don’t do mush. Instead I’m going to wait for the UPS guy to show up and hope he’s hot so I can hump his leg, per your suggestion.

• I think that’s why they wear the shorty shorts…easy to wipe off the admiration.

And no mush, it’s a deal. But your essay brought me so much joy and so many memories from the days when my brother and I would point and giggle at the “Where Did I Come From” book! Thank you for that!

4. Colleen says:

very cool!!! I’ll watch for it at Barnes and Noble so I can put it on my Nook!!

CONGRATULATIONS! (I’m a little weepy myself). You. Go. Girl. MUAH!

• ME TOO. Random teary outbursts all day yesterday. WHAT THE HELL. Postpartum hormones, I’m sure. Thank you for being here, there, everywhere. You are such a trooper Lisa! Love you girl.

6. Wow, you are amazing! I am so honored to be a part of your project because this book is dripping with humor and well-turned phrases! And awesome, let’s not forget awesome. But holy crapapples, they sure go back to school early in your parts. Boo. Ellen

7. Alexis says:

Congratulations! And while I haven’t yet had the pleasure of reading your soon-to-be bestseller, can I say the cover art is FABULOUS.

Also I totally share your tears at the kids going back to school. When they were toddlers I dreamed of the time I could put them on the school bus and now that the time has come, it’s not nearly the happy party time I thought it would be. *sniff*

• TOTALLY. Some days are harder than others. I’m sure I’ll get used to the glorious silence very quickly though! :)

YES, thank you for the compliment on the cover art! I am in LOVE with the design and we really lucked out with a great designer, Lisa Knight at Designs Done Now. Found her through a design contest at 99designs.com. She’s awesome and really easy to work with!

8. Teri says:

So excited for you ladies!!! WAY COOL!!!!

9. Sue Salisbury says:

Wait..Wait..there needs to be book signing! Your my funniest friend that I never met and now I can add author! I don’t have any funny author friends!

10. Dani Ryan says:

CONGRATS! Naptime can’t come fast enough. I’m ordering my copy this afternoon!!!

11. I obediently purchased the book. I expect to be peeing my pants laughing shortly.

12. KBar3 says:

Fantastic! Heading over to Amazon to get a copy NOW!

13. Fiveogrrl says:

Holy crap! Bitch. I want mine signed.!!!!!

14. lisa thomson says:

Congratulations, Leslie! This looks fantastic. I will be buying a copy for sure. Once when I met my 18 YO son at the airport, the first thing he said was “mom, you have lipstick on your teeth.” And then he laughed and laughed. Love it. I don’t usually have lipstick on my teeth or maybe I don’t have enough friends to tell me.

15. Anne Alexander says:

Congratulations Leslie- can’t wait to read it!!!

16. Carrie says:

I’m not sure how many times I’m going to congratulate you, but just roll with me.

CONGRATS!!

You make life funnier and goodness knows the world needs more funny!!

Love you and your lipstick!!

17. I just bought 2! So proud of you!

18. I seriously can’t believe this book launched on the SAME DAY that you launched your kids back into school.

You’re my hero because that’s more stress than I could handle in a month let alone 24 hours.

Thanks for EVERYTHING you’ve done and for including me in your hard work.
    Words fail me.

So I hope you just know.

19. Some of my favorite ladies all in one book? YES PLEASE! Congrats <3

20. Angela says:

I bought the book through a friend’s affiliate search and searched for your name instead of the title of the book. Because I think it’s awesome that one of my ‘friends’ is searchable on Amazon. Can’t wait for it to arrive!

21. So excited for you and can’t wait to get a copy! By the way, cutest UPS guy ever!!

22. How exciting! Congratulations!

Maybe I should actually start wearing lipstick in your honor!

23. Heh heh…you said number two.

Congratulations! Woot!

Gonna go tweet the hell out of it, yo. Right after I buy one. See ya.

24. Melissa says:

It looks fantastic! I love the label “future bestseller.” Marketing genius, right there.

25. Dawn@LightenUp! says:

I actually read this yesterday, and didn’t comment then, but I wanted to thank you EVER SO MUCH for planting “Cat’s in the Cradle” in my head, causing me to make my kids to hug me, talk to me and hang out with me the entire day. They are also very grateful to you for this. ;)
    Thank you, thank you again for getting me involved with “Lipstick.” I am so pleased to be among such talent.

26. HouseTalkN says:

I love you so hard. Thank you for being our fearless leader!

27. Estelle says:

Excited to buy this book and read it. It’s important to laugh especially in the early year’s of motherhood. Sorry I didn’t meet you at BlogHer. We have a few peeps in common.
    Best and congratulations!
    Estelle

28. Andrea says:

Love! Can’t wait to read all the funny. Congratulations to you and your co-writers!

29. Linda Roy says:

Love that new page smell…aaahhh….can’t wait to smell the pages when mine arrives. And of course can’t wait to read it – yes! – of course! There will be reading involved with the sniffing…and laughing!

Congratulations!!!