I’m fighting the winter blues, one juicy page at a time

Welcome to The Bearded Iris

Hello friends! (::sniff sniff, wag wag, lick lick::) I’ve been missing you!

Sorry to stay away for so long.

I’m totally engrossed in a book.

It’s a book that I’ve read at least twice before, maybe three times.

But it’s one of those books that beckons me back every now and then. (And inspires me to use fancy words like beckons in my blog posts.)

Apparently I’m not the only one. This book (and the subsequent series) has legions of devoted fans.

It’s Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon.

It takes place in the very unhygienic mid-eighteenth century and it’s inspired me to write a list of the Top 5 Things I Could Never Live Without. It’s In The Powder Room today. Please join me over there and we’ll discuss fun things like thunder buckets and camel balls.

And if you are up for some more fun, check out this piece I wrote last month and never got around to sharing. But be warned, it includes my favorite viral YouTube video from 2012 and it is totally addictive!

I’m so grateful you are here with me and I hope to share many more laughs, tears, discussions, and fresh smelling bear hugs with you in 2013!

Yours truly,
Leslie

This entry was posted in marital bliss, poop and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to I’m fighting the winter blues, one juicy page at a time

1. Katie says:

I love the Outlander series. I’ve been reading them since the mid-nineties, and have stalked Diana Gabaldon a few times. She is fantastic to listen to. I can’t wait for the next one to come out!

2. Kris the Colts fan says:

Welcome back Kotter. Wondered if you’d fallen off the planet or been swallowed up by the holidays.

• Thanks, Epstein! :)

Yeah, sorry about that. Partly swallowed up by the holidays, and partly just needed some down time with my family. Thank you for wondering and being here when I returned! XO

3. Leighan says:

ELove that series, and can’t wait for the next book OR the miniseries (please let them not mutilate it!). It is about time to re-read them (for the 8th time) …. sorry, kids, you’re on your own for the next few months.

4. I tried. I really tried. I tried to like it the way I tried to like “Lonesome Dove.” But I just couldn’t do it. It was not for lack of trying.

• Well “A” for effort Kirby. My neighbor/BFF Tammie couldn’t get into either and that girl reads like most people breathe. So, it’s not for everyone. Hey, whatever floats your boat, sister. What books do you love? (Inquiring minds want to know!)

5. Julie says:

I also love this series and recommend it often. I just finished the first in a new (to me) series last night that reminded me a lot of the Outlander books – the Wilderness saga by Sara Donati, starting with Into the Wilderness. Another series to try between new Gabaldon books!

6. Lisa Hewitt says:

Thus, I must away. The Powder Room beckons. Hurtling through the vastness of the quagmire of internet connectivity, hoping to find solice from the absymal ruination that calls itself January. Alas and shit.

7. Jill says:

I love Diana Gabaldon! I have read and reread her entire series multiple times! I actually keep extra copies that I happen to see at book sales just so that I can pass them on to friends who haven’t read her yet. I don’t lend my books anymore because I lost the first copy I had and it made me sad. I have even met her and heard her speak in Grand Rapids, MI a few years ago. I got all of my books autographed and got my picture taken with her! A definite highlight of my life!

• DUDE! Seriously?! I would love to see that!

I love your idea about scooping up extra books to give away. I hate lending my favorite books to friends because I never seem to get them back and I’m one of those people who loves to reread my favorites. Thanks for the idea!

8. lisa thomson says:

I have never heard of this book! I’m so excited to add it to my to read list, thanks for sharing Leslie. Novels set in those times seem to be quite erotic. I won’t be making a baby with it though!

9. FunMumX3 says:

Book recommendations get me all hot ‘n’ sweaty. Seriously, not kidding! I was over the moon when I first got my Kobo and wi-fi and realized that I could get (almost) any book at any time, anywhere. Cheap thrills… (I also get excited at the opportunity to go grocery shopping by myself… see what my life has become?)

• Preach it, sister. Without book recommendations I would NEVER be able to find my way through a book store (online or otherwise.) See my comment above for more recommendations via Pinterest! :) Happy reading…and solo grocery shopping!

10. Kristen says:

aaahhhh! You’re back! Let the hilarity resume. Also – love Outlander :)

11. Alexis says:

I circle back around to enjoy the joys of Jamie Frazer and his deep Scottish brogue. Internet pop culture rumor mill suggests that Showtime might be doing a TV adaption. I’m not sure if that’s true or not but it’s super fun to imagine who they might cast!

12. Kristy says:

Ok… So I’ve read the entire series and let. me. tell. you! EVERY woman needs a Jamie! And if nothing else, close your eyes and pretend! hahahaha
    Seriously! It’s, by far, THE best series I’ve ever read! New book should be out 2013 or 2014!
    ENJOY! (and believe me… YOU WILL!!) ;p

13. I’ve never read the Outlander books. I keep hearing about them recently, from wide and varied sources.

14. Thanks to you, I’m back to reading Echo in the Bone every night before bed. Unfortunately, however, I’ve been to sick to let my lust for Jamie Fraser physically manifest itself onto my husband. Oh well… I’ve still got 1100 pages to go. ;)

15. Jen says:

I have the whole series of these books. Someone gave them to me but I’ve never read them… perhaps maybe I should.

16. Snappy says:

I’ll have to check these out from the library.

Happy New Year, Leslie!

17. mappermom says:

I also tried several times to read Outlander and just couldn’t get into it despite my love of historical fiction. But, I did LOVE Gabaldon’s Lord John series. He is wonderfully funny, heroic and tragic. Interesting that that series clicked with me but not the main books.

18. Pingback: Come to Mama Sausage Dip, for most of your bartering needs | The Bearded Iris