Desperately seeking signs of beauty

When I could no longer hide the tears from my family yesterday, I found myself alone in the yard, feeling helpless, and desperately seeking signs of beauty in this world.

It wasn’t easy.

It was cold, and gray, and damp. And my heart was so very heavy.

But I was determined.

Desperately seeking signs of beauty by the Bearded Iris 2

Normally not a fan of dandelions, I couldn’t help but now see this lone puff ball through the eyes of a joyous 6-year-old. I made a wish and scattered the seeds. (I can’t tell you my wish or it won’t come true.)

desperately seeking signs of beauty by The Bearded Iris

Looking up, in spite of the gray sky, or maybe because of it, the buds on the Bradford Pear trees hold the promise of spring.

Turning the corner, I noticed one last green leaf still clinging to one of my favorite Forsythia bushes, amidst numerous golden buds.

The words appeared in my mind as if on cue: strength, resilience, promise, hope.

There is still beauty in this world. We just have to work a lot harder to find it right now.

Sending strength hope and love to the people of Newtown Connecticut from The Bearded Iris

Please look for it. Love others. Spread seeds of joy and promise everywhere you go. The people of Newtown and beyond need that from us right now.

For more strength, love, and promise, please join me and my dear friend Lerner In The Powder Room today as “we carry each other out of the hurt.”

With love and hope,
Leslie

This entry was posted in faith and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Desperately seeking signs of beauty

1. Arnebya says:

I am looking for the beauty as well. I see it, fleetingly, and want to grab it, hold onto it, protect it, spread it.

2. Michelle says:

So true. So hard to comprehend.

3. Nora DePalma says:

YOU bring beauty because you bring laughter to our lives.

4. I currently see beauty through the eyes of my three-year-old… and that’s about it. For reasons that I can’t even begin to get into here, this has been about the bleakest holiday season I can ever remember in all my 37 years. All the joy I can muster at this point comes from my daughter and is redirected right back at her.

And that may very well be the most depressing comment I’ve ever typed. Sorry, Leslie. :(

• I totally understand Kristin. Baby steps. I am hoping that the tiny sparks of joy we find, wherever we find it, will slowly smolder into larger and larger flames, but I know it is going to take a long time. Thank you for being my friend this year. Much love to you, Jim, and Li’l Bit!

Thank you so much for this!

6. Kris the Colts fan says:

This has been a pretty bad year all around for me. And the CT shooting made me feel entirely hopeless. But I know there is hope still to be found and I’ll trust God to help me find hope again. Until then, I’ll fake it til I make it.

• The hopelessness is hard, especially after a tough year. And especially knowing such evil exists in the world. I like your idea to “fake it ’till you make it” though, Kris. Usually getting started is the hardest part of anything for me, so maybe that will apply here too. God, I hope so. For all of us. XO

Thank you. I hope your wish comes true. I know it was a good one.

8. I love you. And I still see it everywhere. So hard. xo

9. lisa thomson says:

Thankyou, thank you, thank you Leslie! I (we) needed that simple yet poignant message today.

10. Scarlett says:

This is such a beautiful post! So glad to have found your blog x

11. Roshni says:

Desperately hoping that this horrific tragedy will be the turning point to some action being taken

12. Thanks for these images and thoughts. Hugs.

13. This year has seemed bleak. The shooting made it just seem hopeless. I have been trying to not necessarily find the beauty in the everyday happenings, but more in finding the little things that make me smile. The little inane things in my life that in some way help me get through the day. I love your post and the images that go with it. This is why we blog, sometimes we write to tell about life, other times we write to try to understand it. Thank you.

14. sheri says:

This is exactly what the world needs right now. I’m glad you found your beauty. God bless Newtown and all of the broken hearts grieving for them.

15. FiveOGrrl says:

I have cried everyday since. Several times a day.

16. DG says:

This was so beautiful. I adore you…xo love and hugs now and always. DG

17. Kate says:

This was a beautiful sentiment written in a beautiful way. We tried to shelter our children from the news, though we did have a talk about it so when they got to school Monday they weren’t surprised if they heard anything. We left out the details, as I didn’t think it important to bring an adult’s world of worry and sadness into the world of an 8 & 10 year old. When my son came home from his Middle School Monday he said that they had a moment of silence for all the people that died at the school Friday, I burst into tears. The teachers said it wasn’t appropriate for them to talk to the kids about the details (for which I was thankful). I told him some more about what happened and said that we would answer any worries or concerns they have and to talk to us as the came to their minds… what a horrible talk to have to have with your kids a week before Christmas. So your words ring true and will help a lot of us move forward. Thank you for being you and doing what you do.

18. Oh what a simple heart you share. Iris, it is encouraging…I wrote about all of the conflict too today and wondered, gee right before Christmas…nice post. But LIFE happened. Not the life we are supposed to have either. Thank you for sharing some beauty. Now I’m going to go read about ruts????

19. Suniverse says:

Love. You.

Thanks for this. It’s been hard to find anything positive.

20. So important to look for the beauty. Thanks for this post!