I rode the Pink Pig!

No, that’s not a euphemism.

It’s the title of a cute little keepsake book which I received for attending the annual ribbon cutting ceremony of the Macy’s Pink Pig holiday train.

It’s THE annual holiday tradition that Atlanta families have been treasuring for nearly 60 years.

I know what you’re thinking: only in the South would they wrap a holiday ride in bacon.

But come on. Bacon really does make everything better! And The Macy’s Pink Pig is no exception.

Apparently it dates back to 1953 when it was known as “Priscilla the Pink Pig Flyer.” It used to be suspended on a track above the downtown Atlanta Rich’s Wonderland of Toys.

(YIKES! You could not have paid me a million pink cupcakes to get in that thing!) But over time, the ride has evolved a bit. These days, The Pink Pig is no longer suspended in the air. And no longer does it resemble a pink paddy wagon. Now it’s just an open-car kiddie train that goes around a big circle (twice) like a regular kids’ choo-choo train ride.

And it is as kitschy as kitsch can be. Which means I absolutely LOVED IT. My favorite part? The cheesy 1960’s game show music playing in the background. So funny! And the story told over the loud speaker while you ride the train has a great message about the importance of doing what you love and being true to yourself in order to be happy.

I am clearly enjoying this more than anyone else in my train car.

My kids actually loved it too, even though the photo above indicates otherwise. Bucket Head (the 5-year-old) thought the train ride part was a little scary, but he’s very easily spooked and doesn’t like a lot of noise. (Especially the noise of his mother shouting “ISN’T THIS FUN, YOU GUYS?! ARE YOU HAVING FUN? I AM!”)

Truly, from the moment we got there, my kids were pretty excited.

My husband? Not so much. But don’t listen to him. He rarely emotes, unless Ohio State is playing.

Macy’s Lenox Square is doing a special promotion this holiday season where you can eat breakfast with Priscilla the Pink Pig! There are two opportunities: Saturday, November 17th, and Saturday, December 15th. And the tickets will benefit Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta!

Reservations are required and seating is limited. I’ll post details at the end of the post. If you go for the breakfast with Priscilla, here are some of the fun things you’ll experience:

Breakfast, face painting, storytelling, endless pink treats, a spin on the train, and a complimentary photo package with Priscilla! And the gift shop? OH MY ‘LANTA!

Word of advice for the menfolk: you might want to eat something at home before you go because if you are a big eater, you will not get enough food there. And there was no coffee at the ribbon cutting breakfast; so if that’s important to you, hit a coffee shop on the way. The kids and I were quite happy with our pink pancakes, sausage, and yogurt with granola, berries, and pink gummy piggy, but my husband definitely left there hungry and under caffeinated. (Bless his heart.)

My kids also loved getting to pose with Priscilla in front of the green screen. Bucket Head seemed to find Priscilla particularly, um, attractive…

We had to pay extra for 2nd base.

All in all, if you are looking for a fun, philanthropic, family event near Atlanta where you will be treated like a VIP and create memories your kids will treasure for a lifetime, go have breakfast with Priscilla the Pink Pig. For reservations or more info, call 770-913-5877.

PS – It’s located on the upper deck parking lot of the Macy’s at Lenox Square Mall in Buckhead. The train and gift shop are under a large white tent, but the breakfast is served outside, so dress for the weather.

Disclosure: I am a member of the Everywhere Society and Everywhere provided me with compensation for this post about Macy’s.  However, all thoughts and opinions expressed herein are my own.

This entry was posted in Atlanta, kids, reviews & giveaways and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to I rode the Pink Pig!

1. Mary Anne says:

Woo Hoo! I rode the above old pink pig when I was little! What a great time and I still remember it. Hard for a tall dad to get in it though LOL-so glad you had fun…

2. PRISCILLA?!
    And no apples on the menu?
    I am glad you all had fun.

3. Holly Kirklighter says:

OMG!!!!! I love the pink pig!! So excited I saw this. I am from Georgia and grew up in the N. Druid Hills area, and going to ride the Pink Pig every year was awesome! Thank you for sharing this, I love it!

• Thanks Holly! Happy to share – glad it brought back some happy memories for you!

Did you ever ride it when it was suspended from the track in the sky? That looks like it would be scary! Just curious…

• Holly Kirklighter says:

Yes absolutely!! And if i recall correctly it was on top of the Rich’s building in downtown. It was really awesome and a tradition every year we rode the Pink Pig and we always did the Nutcracker at the Fox! I now live in SE Texas, so seeing this truly made my day, no week!! I miss Atlanta…I just stumbled across you and your blog, so if you don’t mind I am gonna stay tuned! I am also a furry southern peach! :)

4. I’m shocked they don’t have something like that here in Iowa. Pork and beef are HUGE here. We have a butter cow (at our state fair), which is a shame because you can’t ride it. They did have a moose made entirely of chocolate this year, I had to be restrained and led away before I jumped on it and took a great big bite.

But seriously, it looks like a great time!

• WOW – Iowa sounds like a great big delicious table of awesomeness! I’ve never been there, but you may have just convinced me to book our next family vacation at Giant Chocolate Moosetown.

5. Mry says:

I don’t know what happens down South, but the Macy’s here in Minneapolis has breakfast with Santa, lol.

6. Glen says:

Way to scary looking for me — I’ll be in the corner eating your portion of breakfast

7. I wish I lived in Atlanta! In Richmond, we only have the some Famous Original Santa, allegedly.

I wish I lived in Atlanta! And I want pink pancakes.

Whoo Hooo. I want to say I want to ride the train, but I know what you would do with that comment!I love Buckethead’s ballon hat. And you. muah

10. Rachel Fruitloop says:

That looks so fun!! But no coffee at the breakfast?! That’s insane! You guys are super cute!

11. Evil Joy says:

Love it! I’m from Iowa – grew up there anyways – and we ex-Iowians have an affinity for any and all things ‘cute piggy.’

Like the pics!!!!

12. Kristen says:

I love that your husband is wearing pink… he totally matches Priscilla! I’m sure it wasn’t on purpose but I am going to pretend it was because that’s hilarious :)

• You’re right, it was just a coincidence, but now that I know how pink everything is there, I would definitely recommend that EVERYONE dress in pink for the photo ops. Poor Bucket Head looked rather out of place in his bold orange stripe. (Still cute as hell though, if I do say so myself.) :)

• Kristen says:

Bucket Head is a cutie no matter what…. but, yeah, next time he should really step up to the plate. He’s in kindergarten now and that is the big leagues.

13. That looks like so much fun! My kids would’ve loved it. I’m so sad it’s happening in Atlanta, not up north. No chance they’d pitch in for a few plane tickets, I’m guessing… The piggies are so cute (and so are your kids, of course)

And it does totally sound like a euphemism.

14. Anastasia Beaverhousen says:

No comment on riding the pink pig because the image that first created in my head just needs to go away. But, I just saw you on an old episode of Oprah – something about organizing your clutter and you found a bunch of insurance reimbursements. I had to stop the TiVo-type-thang that we use here in Norway, rewind and pause it to confirm, but yup, right there on the screen was my favorite blogger! I just discovered you about a year ago and I normally never watch Oprah, but it’s a great distraction when recovering from surgery. Anyhoo, just wanted to say howdy and let you know how thoroughly entertaining I find your blog and your youtube video where your son (inadvertently) sniffs your crotch and proclaims it stinky! I laughed til my stitches hurt!!

• OMG! You saw me? On Oprah?! From all the way in Norway?!

SEE THAT, PEOPLE? I REALLY WAS ON OPRAH!

Anastasia, you may be the only person other than my child’s bus driver who has seen that and recognized me, so bonus points for you, my sister. Also, you calling me “your favorite blogger”? DOUBLE BONUS POINTS. Please let me know where I can mail you an autographed cancelled insurance reimbursement. (Okay, not really, I probably can’t afford the postage to Norway.) And sorry about the sore stitches. ;)

15. Snappy says:

Wow! What an awesome event.

Look at Bucket Head – already getting an early start on second base! jk